Saturday, October 9, 2010

One more step....

Well, we have just completed our "field exercise" where for the last two weeks our brigade has been evaluated on every task we may or may not be called upon to perform overseas. Everything is dirty, stinky and dusty...everything except the prayer shawl and laminated Asher hands I received just a few nights ago!

The gift was not necessarily expected by any means but did make sense when those items arrived. I probably should have chosen a different location for opening the box and seeing everything in it than I did (I was right in the middle of my work tent!) due to the fact that the big, burly grizzly bear had to get up and leave the tent for a moment to compose myself when I received those gifts! It was very powerful to have those tangible items to remind me of Emily, Asher and home.

Things in the field went ok, though no matter what the final evaluation will be (we - my group - finds out tomorrow), I always feel like there is more that I could have done or should have done. From the sounds of things right now, my section did a good job and may be a little ahead of most active component units that have not delpoyed in the last 1 1/2 years with the mission I have. That part makes me feel ok about going forward with the people I have around me and will be working with.

Things here in California are slowly winding down with our groups leaving and sleeping tents having fewer and fewer people in them all the time. I can't say I am sad to have this chapter pass, however it does invoke some emotion...just not sure what exactly that emotion is just yet. I can't say for certainty that I am excited or anxious or nervous or anticipatory. I am just kind of in a holding pattern waiting for the next mission or task. I know when I finally get on the bird to fly over, my mind will start to truly "click" into full military mode and some of who I am will need to be shut down and some of who I am will have to be amp'd up. It is truly a weird thing, this experience that is "going to war." Anyway, one more step closer to the end....
~Jake

2 comments:

  1. Your guys are so lucky to have a great soldier like you!!! We miss you more than words can say. I'm hoping the next year goes by very fast for you, em, and Asher. the bad guys don't even know what's comin' at them!!!! Love you!! Scotty, Danielle, Laynie, & Callie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you, too! Hoping the next several months goes by quickly for you and we'll see you when you come home! Praying for you and your fellow soldiers' safety.

    ReplyDelete