Tuesday, October 12, 2010

God Speaks.

I'm convinced God speaks.

I've learned we just have to quiet ourselves long enough to listen and receive his messages. And be open to however and through whomever they arrive.

For instance, the other day I got a birthday card in the mail from my dear friend Maggie, and enclosed was a special magnet that now resides on my fridge. It says:

"Faith is believing that one of two things will happen," she said. "That there will be something solid for you to stand on or that you will be taught to fly."

And I get that. I know I was meant to hear that.

We've now learned that Jake will be heading to Afghanistan within the week. So yesterday, I decided to drive Jake's truck. I figured it needed to be driven, and I wanted, in some way, to feel close to him, so I gave it a whirl. Hanging from his rearview mirror is a wooden cross, and a dog tag with Joshua 1:9 on it, which says:
I command you: be firm and steadfast! Do not fear or be dismayed, for the Lord, your God, is with you wherever you go."
Hear ya, God...loud & clear.
Tonight I was really missing Jake. I haven't been able to recall the name of our favorite Chinese restaurant...silly, really, but I just couldn't call it to mind. When I asked him the name, he immediately said it. At least both of us haven't forgotten....
So, I stopped and got some Chinese for dinner tonight...and ate it while Asher munched on some chicken nuggets...and of course, I was hoping the fortune would have something great to say.
This is where I'm convinced that God has a great sense of humor....you know what my fortune said?!
"A need is a really strong want."
Uh...yeah. TELL.ME.ABOUT.IT. I now understand that the song Unchained Melody and the Righteous Brothers were oh, *SO* right... "I hunger for your love..." "I hunger for your touch." A need may be a really strong want, but hunger....food...that's a necessity....
~Emily

2 comments:

  1. I don't know exactly what you are going through because I have never been in your position, but I know how it feels to miss someone so much that it physically hurts your heart and we are with you every step! And God is definitely with you, watching over you, Jake, and Asher and will give you all exactly what you are needing...every step of the way! We love you!!!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, everytime I read a post from you, I am moved in someway. Your strong faith is such an inspiration and I hope that I (for today) can take your message and listen for when God is speaking to me! Take care!! Em

    ReplyDelete