Monday, October 25, 2010

Last night I had a particularly odd (probably not the right word, but I don't know what word really is appropriate) experience that I was proud and saddened to be a part of. Last night we said goodbye to a hero and sent him home for the final time.

There are a lot of opportunities that are available to me being stationed at Bagram...education, good food (or at least not as bad food), MWR (morale, wellness, recreation) opportunities and some interesting work opportunities...there is another detail that I hadn't thought of when I first knew I was going to be stationed here...ramp ceremony.

What the ramp ceremony is, is its a final goodbye and payment of respect for a fallen soldier, or fallen hero. Its not something that is fun, exciting or thrilling, but unfortunate and necessary. I have been a part of a lot of ceremonies, funerals, honor guards, etc for soldiers and police officers back home, but here - in this place - it is a bit different. There is a sense of...I don't know, something that is in the air and is felt by all who are there. Some take it better than others, some act different than others, but when I realized the MOS (military occupational specialty - job in the military) of the soldier, it hit home hard...he was a combat engineer like me doing a job that I have trained to do in the past and am quite confident he was every bit as capable as I am.

Seeing the flag draped coffin carried off the humvee by the pallbearers and watching the soldier being loaded into the cargo area of a C-130 for transport back to the States reminded me of the people that I knew and have lost...and of the family members of others I have been a part of burying. It serves as a solemn reminder that the fickle finger of fate can tap you on the shoulder at any time and call your number.

God speed Sapper, and peace be with your family....

~Jake

2 comments:

  1. You and I have been friends for a long time. To think about it is kind of crazy. That being said, I know I don't fully "get" this part of your life. As many questions that I ask you, as long as I hang around, I won't fully "get" it because I don't walk in your shoes. As sad as it makes me to know you've had to experience this event, this retelling is invaluable to me because you have let me into a piece of your life that is difficult to share, but makes you who you are. I "get" it a little more. Thanks for inviting all us civilians on your journey. Always praying for peace, love & safety. Stay focused and come home soon. Love ~E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Jake and God be with you and those around you. love you, A. Diane and U.Sean

    ReplyDelete