Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday Morning Reflections

It's quiet.

It's Sunday morning, and the baby is still sleeping. If Jake were here, he would be, too.

Jake is currently in California, and for now, we have no communication out or in. He does tell me "they" will allow him to receive snail mail, so I'll have to get on that. Right now I'm putting together a package to mail off to him containing some books to read/share for the flight to Afghanistan and all the boring moments that waiting in the military provides you with, some Nutter Butters, Gummy Bears, and Swedish Fish, a DVD he ordered that arrived at the house, and a prayer shawl that I crocheted. It's waiting on a special addition by Asher....but we have yet to make the "paper hug" that we'd like to send along to daddy.

A year ago today, I was running in my first race. I was part of a marathon relay team with a group of Stroller Strides moms. Jake had shared the training portion with me...often running right along side of me, encouraging me, and keeping me going. And on the day of the race, my mom, Asher & Jake were there to cheer me on. Jake even jumped in with me and ran.

This year I wanted to do the race again. I wanted to train and feel good and participate, but the training never got done. It would merely sound like a bunch of excuses when I put the reasons out there for "Why" it didn't get done...but after such a good experience last year with an amazing training buddy who constantly pushed me or said, "Come on, you can do this," when I said or believed I couldn't, truly was what made me. And this year, it's what broke me.

I didn't have someone after work waiting for me with his workout clothes, tying up his tennis shoes. I didn't have him there with the dog on the leash and the stroller waiting to go to say, "Let's do this." and have no way to back out. Excuses, yes, but it was what worked to get me out there.

So I beat myself up this year that I didn't get the training in...but then I admitted that there are just not enough hours in the day when you are the one responsible for getting the kid and yourself fed, bathed, and in bed at a reasonable hour, after working all day long. Sure, we still get to Stroller Strides, and we're checking out the YMCA....so I CAN train if I want to. It was just so much more enjoyable when I could share it with the man I love the most.

We've talked about doing the half together next year...a mutual goal we can individually work toward throughout the year and then come together in September of next year to do as a team. Can we do it?


"Faith is being sure ofAlign Left what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." ~Hebrews 11:1
~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment