Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sweet 16

Thirteen years ago, when Jake and I began dating, my baby brother Dylan was just that...a baby. He was a toddling 2.5 year old... Actually, Asher & Dylan are basically the same age difference as Dylan and I were...so when Dylan was the age Asher is now, I was the age Dylan is now. Whew. That was confusing.

Anyway, Jake has always been around...for as long as Dylan can remember, Jake has been a part of our lives. He was like a big brother from the start...always there to play and teach Dylan, and someone for him to look up to.

Here they are...on our wedding day.

When Jake was deployed the first time, I was completing my senior year in college. Right after I graduated, I had kidney surgery. Jake was still in the United States and hadn't deployed overseas yet, so he was able to come home on emergency leave for 72 hours to be with me. Dylan was finishing up 4th grade, and when Jake came home, he decided to surprise Dylan at his school. When the kids came in from recess, Jake was sitting in Dylan's chair. Dylan was so shocked and surprised he sobbed & ran into Jake's arms.


So, Jake and Dylan have a pretty special bond going on. They talk about beating each other up, but really it's a "guy cover" just meaning that they really like each other.


Now Dylan is probably just as tall as Jake, and may one day pass him up. Dylan talks about his dreams to attend the Air Force Academy once he graduates high school. He's SO not a baby anymore.


Today on his "sweet 16" we had fabulous steaks and delicious mac and cheese, and even a little chocolate chip cookie cake to celebrate. A celebration these days is just not complete without Flat Jake making an appearance...




I'm sure if he was here, or able to contact us, he'd have wished Dylan a VERY happy birthday!

~Emily





No comments:

Post a Comment