Friday, July 9, 2010

The Labyrinth: Joyful Journey, Paths of Peace

We spent a wonderful Independence Day weekend in Edina, MN for Jake's mom's family reunion. As always, plenty of laughter, lots of babies, staying up way too late, and delicious food.


We enjoyed Mass on Sunday at St. Patrick's in Edina. Prior to Mass, we were invited to walk the labyrinth in memory of Jake's aunt JoAnne, who passed away in May after a 7 month battle with pancreatic cancer. JoAnne was one of Jake's biggest supporters while he was overseas the last time...she mailed to him probably more than myself and his mom! JoAnne made communication with Jake her labor of love...postcards, notes, and letters were sent his way, and I know it meant so much to him that she offered her care and love of him in this manner.


Part of the information about the labyrinth states that, "The labyrinth is an ancient symbol found across many cultures and around the world. Labyrinths are often confused with mazes, but are actually very different.


Mazes are intended to puzzle and confuse you with many possible turns and dead ends. In contrast, a labyrinth has just one path to the center, with no decisions to make to reach the goal.


Accordingly, the journey through a maze is vastly different than a labyrinth walk. Mazes can be stressful, confusing and require concentrated thinking to successfully reach the center. However, walking a labyrinth requires simple focus on the path immediately underfoot, letting the labyrinth guide you along the single pathway to the center."


I found this a wonderful activity. I have never walked a labyrinth before, and I prayed while I walked the path that I would have peace about this upcoming journey. I reflected on JoAnne, her life, her family, her legacy, and her spirit to stay faithful and fight, even in the midst of her greatest battle. I thought about her support of Jake, and how meaningful it was to him. Jake was walking ahead of me, but the way that the labyrinth turned and twisted made us come in contact with each other quite often...so silently we'd reach out and squeeze each others' hands as we passed along our respective ways. The sun was shining, puffy white clouds hung overhead in a beautiful blue sky....it was a very relaxing experience on a quiet Sunday morning.


Another portion of the pamphlet about the labyrinth states, "There are many ways to experience the labyrinth walk. The most common use of the labyrinth is as a spiritual tool, a way of silencing the noise and turmoil in our busy lives, for centering and meditative prayer. The slow, rhythmic walking, back and forth, eases the mind, and acts as a full-body prayer.


Walk with an open mind and an open heart. Walking a labyrinth is like taking a walk with God."


At one point in my walk, I looked down at the rocky gravel path. A sharp, shiny stone caught my eye and I reached down and picked it up. Holding it in my hand, I thought about the difficult times, the jagged parts of life that pierce our hearts and bodies....the parts that really hurt. I thought of JoAnne... and I prayed for peace. I continued along the path, and again saw another glint from a rock in the path. I reached down and picked it up...it was heart shaped. I thought about God's love for us, the way he holds all of us in the palm of his hand, even in, and especially in those moments when we are in the midst of a storm or walking in the valley of the shadow of death.

JoAnne, although no longer present in body, was with us this weekend as we gathered. In memories shared, in quiet chats, in smiles, and in our hearts....she was there. In a photograph taken on the morning of the 4th of July parade, a bright ray of sun shone down into the center of the group of cousins. JoAnne's second daughter was sitting there in that spot, holding her young son. The bright light got so intense that the group separated to make an open spot, where one person could have sat. In some way, I believe that was JoAnne...letting us know she was with us.






~Emily

2 comments:

  1. Emily, Thank you for such a wonderful posting. Thank you for once again reminding me of the many silent ways in which my mom touched people's lives. And thank you for sharing that you felt her there with us last weekend. I certainly did too. We will certainly keep Jake in our prayers, and please let me know how I can reach him while he's gone. While I know I will not be able to equal my mother's communications - she was a saint! - it will certainly help me to think of her to write him as she would have done. Best wishes and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily. WOW. What a beautiful post. Here I am, at the DYS Training Facility Computer Lab reading this on my lunch break crying. The post was beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it. And I also look at those pictures of all of us, and of the grandkids. And it seems as though there is a light shining on all "Nana's grandkids" as well. Such a special memory and keepsake.

    ReplyDelete